Monday, November 21, 2016

Std 12 - H S C Board - As you like it - Writing Skills

Extract 1 (Textbook page 183)
Many years ago .......................................................................... the head of the family.

Extend the above extract by adding an imaginary paragraph of your own in about 120 words.

One fine summer day Oliver and Orlando were both out hunting in the forest when they saw a beautiful young girl picking flowers. At that very instant both of them fell in love with her. Her name was Rosalind. On reaching home, Orlando made a beautiful bouquet and wrote a special poem for Rosalind and decided that he would send them to her.

Oliver saw the bouquet and read the poem. He was heart-broken to know that he and his brother had fallen in love with the same girl. A wicked idea entered his mind and he decided to put his name at the end of the poem and knew that Rosalind would surely return his love. He was young, handsome and also the head of the family. As he picked up his pen to write his name, he heard Orlando's voice in the distance and he stopped. What was he to do now?
_________________________________________________________________________________

Extract 2 (Textbook page 184)
Oliver was hard and selfish ............................................... I'll never wrestle again.

Rewrite the conversation between Charles and Oliver in the form of a dialogue.

Charles: Your brother, Orlando has challenged me to a fight. Please stop him from wrestling with me.
Oliver: Why do you say that? After all it's a match.
Charles: I am a professional wrestler, Sir. Anyone who fights me runs the risk of being badly hurt. Please warn your brother.
Oliver: It's alright. If Oliver thinks he can fight you, you should show him how good you are and he probably deserves the punishment you give him.
Charles: I thought I should warn you and ask you to persuade him to change his mind.
Oliver: I would be happy if you broke his neck instead of his finger.
Charles: If that's the case, I'll do my best to kill him.
Oliver: You have my permission to do whatever you like with him.
Charles: If he comes to the fight tomorrow, I'll see that he gets punished.
Oliver: Are you sure you can defeat him?
Charles: If he can still walk after I have finished with him, I will never wrestle again. This is my promise to you.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Extract 3 (Textbook page 184)
Next day the wrestling match ........................................... she whispered to her cousin.

Rewrite the above extract from the point of view of Orlando. You may begin with. 
The wrestling match between the wrestler Charles and me was arranged to take place in front of the Duke's palace.

The wrestling match between the wrestler Charles and me was arranged to take place in the Duke's palace in the presence of the Duke. Celia and Rosalind too stayed back to watch the fight. Frederick tried to persuade me not to fight but I was determined to fight and the Duke asked the girls to persuade me again. I also knew that Charles had just fought three other men and had nearly killed them and I too should expect the same treatment. The girls too knew this risk and pleaded me not to go ahead with this fight and assured me that I would not be called a coward if I did not fight. Rosalind also said that she would ask the Duke to stop the wrestling match.

I told the girls not to be angry and said that I could not do what they wished and to wish me good luck  as I went in for the fight. No one would be sorry if I was killed as I had no friends to love me and I was just filling up a place in  the world which could be taken by another man. The girls wished that they could give me all their strength. Charles arrived for the fight and I saw Celia look at him angrily and whisper something to her cousin.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Extract 4 (Textbook pages 183 and 184)
The wrestling match began ............................................................................... to do him harm.

Rewrite the extract from the point of view of Orlando.

When the wrestling match began, everyone expected Charles to beat me to death and win as he was very huge and strong. But I knew a few tricks and luckily I managed to throw him on to the ground. This shocked everyone and Rosalind was happy and excited. The Duke had to stop the fight as Charles was wounded and could not speak.

After the match, the Duke came to meet me and asked me my name. I told him my name and also added that I was the youngest son of Sir Rowland de Boys. This information surprised the Duke and he got angry on hearing this. He said that my father was his enemy and if would have been happy to hear that my father was another person. I answered with great pride that it was an honour for me to be Sir Rowland's son and would not change this situation even to be the heir of the dukedom and the Duke left. Rosalind and Celia came up and praised me for my bravery and manner of wrestling. Rosalind took out a gold chain from her neck and gave it to me. She said that she wished she could give me more, but she was not rich. Rosalind took Celia and went away and I could not forget her. I had already fallen in love with Rosalind. I could not stay at the Duke's palace any longer as my friends told me that the Duke was angry with me. I was asked to leave the dukedom as the Duke was planning to bring harm to me.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Extract 5 (Textbook pages 185 and 186)
As you can imagine .......................................................................... winter and rough weather.

Based on the extract, write a brief dialogue of 8-10 sentences between Orlando and his servant Adam

Adam: Young master, we must leave this place immediately.
Orlando: Why? What has happened? 
Adam: How should I say this? But this morning I heard that your brother is planning to kill you.
Orlando: What? Really!! Is it true?
Adam: Yes, young master, it is true. I heard your brother, Oliver discuss with his servant a plan to set your room on fire tonight and burn you to death.
Orlando: It's shocking! I don't believe it.
Adam: I heard it myself, young master. And if he fails in that, he says that he will find another way to murder you.
Orlando: What should I do now?
Adam:Let's leave right now, young master. We can go to the Forest of Arden and search for the real Duke.
Orlando: Us? Are you coming with me too?
Adam: Definitely, young master. I will never leave you. Let's leave at once, without telling anyone anything.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Extract 8 (Textbook pages 186 and 187)
The Duke Senior ................................................................................................................ again at two o'clock.

Rewrite the first three paragraphs of the extract from the point of view of the Duke Senior.

As my friends and I were sitting down to a meal one day a young man rushed out from the forest, with a sword in his hand and ordered us to stop eating. Surprised and a little worried, we asked him what he wanted. He replied in helplessness that he was dying of hunger and only wanted food. We immediately asked him to sit with us and offered him food, but he refused. He said that his old servant was in the forest dying of hunger and would not eat anything until his servant had first eaten.

My friends and I helped him bring his servant to our hiding place and we fed them both. I asked the young man who he was, he said that he was the youngest son of Sir Rowland De Boys. I was very happy on hearing this and welcomed him to my court in the forest.  
-- 


Communication Enhancement, Soft Skills, IELTS, TOEFL Training, Organisational Consultant, and Personal Growth Coach
Phone: 77100 27 6 62 / 92232 03441
Skype: bsnmglobal
Twitter: bryan27662
+Brian
The Common Sense School - Founder and Chief English Educator
Serenity Foundation - Trustee



One Family - One Tree
Every peel of fruit and vegetable should be placed at the foot of a tree, you will save a lot of garbage and "feed the tree for free."

English Speaking (Regular Batches and Individual Coaching)
for students of Std.5 onwards, Std.10, Std.12 and college students
Vernacular medium students, professionals and adults 

Corporate coaching for senior executives at the office or residence, 
for staff at the company location or on line coaching using Skype

The duration of the course is 20 days x 1.5 hours per day 

The course will cover grammar rules, correct sentence formation and pronunciation.
Course materials will be provided.

Call 92232 03441 for more details



More information to use:
FB: HOMEMADE HAPPINEZZ
FB: @sweetdlights01 (egg or eggless - cakes, chocolates, etc) - 99201 90016

No comments:

Post a Comment