Saturday, November 12, 2016

H S C Board - Std.12 - Reading skills - The Daisy

Extract 1 (Textbook page 171)

OW listen! ....................... How rich I am

Rewrite the extract by imagining yourself as the little daisy. You may begin with:

"I grew on the bank of a ditch . . ." {March 14}

I grew on the bank of a ditch and around me were some very beautiful flowers growing in the garden. I had snow white petals around a yellow center, like the rays of the sun. I was healthy and happy as the sun shone warmly and brightly on me. I did not mind when nobody saw me or admired me. I just turned to the sun and listened to the song of the lark high up in the sky.

It was Monday, and I was as happy as if it was a great holiday. The children were at school learning and playing. I however learnt from the sun and from the garden that God is kind and the lark too expressed these very same feelings through its song. How well he sings and flies! I am very lucky that I can see and hear, the sun shines on me and the forest kisses me. How rich I am!
_______________________________________________________________


Extract 2 (Textbook page 171)

In the garden close by ..................................................... brightly as silver

Q: Based on the extract, write a dialogue between the daisy and the lark.

Lark: Tweet! Hello little daisy. How are you?
Daisy: Pretty lark, I am fine thank you.
Lark: What a beautiful little flower you are, daisy!
Daisy: Me and beautiful? No, it is the tulips and the peonies over there who are beautiful.
Lark: No, you are very nice, with a golden heart and a silver dress.
Daisy: Oh! You think I am nice? Thank you!
Lark: Can I sing a song for you?
Daisy: Please sing a song for me, pretty lark.
Lark: Listen to my song. I need to go back after that.
Daisy: Thank you for that lovely song. I really liked it. What about the other flowers?
Lark: You are the most beautiful of all the flowers. Good bye!
_______________________________________________________________

Extract 3 (Textbook page 171)

How happy the daisy was ................................ pitied them sincerely.

Extend the extract by adding an imaginary paragraph of your own in about 120 words.

The little daisy decided to be friendly, as it had already had its moment of joy when the bird had kissed it with its beak. The next time it saw the bird, it called it and said, "dear bird, please talk and greet the tulips and peonies too. They are feeling hurt and unhappy."

"But," said the bird, "they are not as sweet and innocent as you. They are jealous of you and may be your enemies too."

"Yes, I know that," said the daisy, "they are not very kind. That is why I want them to see what act of kindness can do. Please my friend, be nice to them too as you have been to me." The bird did what the little daisy wanted and today, the tulips, peonies and the little daisy are all good friends.
_______________________________________________________________

Extract 4 (Textbook page 172 and 173)
I wish I could console .................................................... desired to comfort it.

Q: Write a dialogue between the two boys after they see the dead bird.

1st boy: I have some very sad news. The pretty lark is dead.
2nd boy: Do you think it is because we put it in a cage?
1st boy: Yes, I think so. And there was not a drop of water in its bowl. We have been very careless.
2nd boy: You are right. We were very careless and this is the result.
1st boy: We should give it a nice burial at least now. We will put it in a nice box and dig a grave in our back yard.
2nd boy: We will also put some flowers around the grave and visit the grave often.
1st boy: Shall we get another bird to put in the cage?
2nd boy: No, never again. I think that it is wrong to put a bird in a cage.
1st boy: What about this piece of turf? There was a pretty flower on it and now that too is dead.
2nd boy: We have been a bit cruel with the bird, which wasn't right of us.
_______________________________________________________________


Board 2014 Questions and answers

Read the following extracts carefully. Imaginee that two girls or friends Anita and Sunita are conversing about the story event in the story extract. Write it in the form of a dialogue:

You may begin  with: "Anita: Poor bird! Nobody gave it even a drop of water in the evening." 

Extract 1: (Textbook pages 171 and 172)

I wish I could ................................................... desired to comfort it.

Anita: Poor bird! Nobody gave it a drop of water in the evening. Even the daisy died.
Sunita: Those cruel boys forgot about them through the day and night. It seems the came back the next morning only.
Anita: I heard that they cried bitterly when they saw the dead lark.
Sunita: They put the bird in a red box and dug a grave and covered it with flowers.
Anita: What is the point of all this affection after cruelly killing it?
Sunita: While it was alive and beautiful and could sing, they forgot about it and killed it. Now they are crying over it and covered it with flowers.
Anita: And what did they do with the pretty little daisy?
Sunita: They simply threw it on the dusty highway. They are very cruel and unfriendly boys who have no love for nature and very careless.
_______________________________________________________________

Q2: Read the following extract carefully and convert it into a dialogue between the daisy and the lark: (October 2104)

You may begin with: "Daisy, why are you singing so sadly, little bird?"

Extract 2: (Textbook pages 172)

On the following morning ..................................... centre of the grass.

Daisy: Little bird, why are you singing so sadly?
Lark: It's because I have been caught and put in a cage, my friend, Daisy.
Daisy: Why have you been caged? Who has done this cruel deed?
Lark: Those two boys coming towards me. They are the ones who have dones this horrible deed.
Daisy: Oh, I wish I could help you, Lark! But what can I do? I am so small and helpless.
Lark: I am very frightened, they are coming here again, I think they want a piece of the turf.
Daisy: Oh Lark, what are they doing? They are cutting the turf all around me. I think they are going to hurt me to. Please help me.
Lark: Look Daisy, they are going away. It looks like you are safe for the moment.
_______________________________________________________________

Q3: Read the following extract and extend it by adding an imaginary paragraph of your own in about 120 words: (October 2104)

Extract 3: (Textbook page 172)

My throat is dry .......................................................... thought the daisy.

Barely had the lark finished its conversation with the daisy, came the sound of running footsteps. "Oh, little lark, I am sorry," said a sweet little girl's voice. "My brothers do not know what they are doing. They think that keeping you in a cage and providing you with food and shelter, you will be happy. I know that you want your freedom and don't like this prison like feeling. You want to fly away high into the sky. I am going to free you, little lark and you, pretty daisy, please forgive my brothers for their mistakes.

The door of the cage opened. The lark hopped out, kissed the little girl and flew high into the sky. The girl picked up the piece of turf with the daisy and put it back on the ground near the end of the garden. The little daisy touched the soft hand of the little girl gently with its petals.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Q4: Read the following extract and rewrite it from the point of view of the Daisy.

You may begin with: "Though it was only Monday, I was as happy as if it was a great holiday ..." (October 2014)

Extract 4: (Textbook page 171)

"The little daisy was as happy ..................................... at least to see all the splendour."

Though it was only Monday, I was as happy as if it was a great holiday. The children were at school learning and playing. I learnt from the sun and from my surroundings that God is kind and the lark too expressed these same feelings through its songs. He flies so well and sings nicely too. I am very lucky that I can hear and see, the sun shines upon me and the forest kisses me. I am very rich.

Oh, just look at those beautiful flowers over there. They are large and do not have much fragrance. Then why are those flowers so proud? And see the peonies, they have puffed themselves up to become bigger than the roses, it seems they don't know that size is not everything. The tulips have the best colours and they know it. They are standing straight like candles. How beautiful they look! I am sure that the lark will fly down to them. I go unnoticed in their presence. But I am lucky to be near enough to see their splendour. 











Communication Enhancement, Soft Skills, IELTS, TOEFL Training, Organisational Consultant, and Personal Growth Coach
Phone: 77100 27 6 62 / 92232 03441
Skype: bsnmglobal
Twitter: bryan27662
+Brian
The Common Sense School - Founder and Chief English Educator
Serenity Foundation - Trustee



One Family - One Tree

Every peel of fruit and vegetable should be placed at the foot of a tree, you will save a lot of garbage and "feed the tree for free."

English Speaking (Regular Batches and Individual Coaching)
for students of Std.5 onwards, Std.10, Std.12 and college students
Vernacular medium students, professionals and adults 

Corporate coaching for senior executives at the office or residence, 
for staff at the company location or on line coaching using Skype

The duration of the course is 20 days x 1.5 hours per day 

The course will cover grammar rules, correct sentence formation and pronunciation.
Course materials will be provided.

Call 92232 03441 for more details

More information to use:
FB: HOMEMADE HAPPINEZZ
FB: @sweetdlights01 (egg or eggless - cakes, chocolates, etc) - 99201 90016

1 comment: